What kinds of permissions are required for oversized mass transport?

Do I need to get an Oversized Overmass Permit?

Traffic control is a primary concern when moving large objects through a city. Getting an OSOM permit helps your haulage company move smoothly through the city and reduces traffic issues during road closures.

Make a route plan

  • NHVR Route Planner – Make plans for and bookmark routes for trips involving large vehicles using this online mapping application. Determine which roads require an access request and which ones have authorized courses.
  • Websites for the State Road Transport Authority – These websites show authorized heavy truck routes for each state while offering the latest information on restrictions and route descriptions for network access.

What kind of permit do I need?

You may need a permit to drive heavy haulers depending on their class, the region you are travelling through, and the type of cargo you are transporting.

Class 1 permit

  • Special Purpose Vehicle – For SPVs departing from the networks covered by the applicable notice or don’t meet the mass/dimension/operating standards specified in a gazette notice.
  • Agricultural – For heavy haulers or combinations that do not meet the gazette notice specifications or leave the networks covered by the applicable notice.
  • Oversize Overmass – OSOM combinations covered by the pertinent information or fail to adhere with the mass, dimension, or functioning requirements in a gazette notice.

Class 2 permit

  • B-double – For use on a road that isn’t part of the authorized B-double network and where permission is necessary.
  • Road Train – A permit is necessary for passage on the road that does not form part of the authorized Road Train Network.
  • Performance-Based Standards – for transit on/off the PBS network, if the vehicle doesn’t meet the dimension, mass, or operating specifications in a gazette notice.
  • Controlled Access Bus – For use on a route not part of the authorized controlled access bus network.

Class 3 permit

  • Tow truck – For vehicles exceeding the size/weight requirements specified in a gazette notice
  • Commodity Scheme permits (MIMS & MEMS)
  • Mining Trailers

Higher Mass Limits permit

  • HML permit – When driving outside the authorized HML network.

How do I get an OSOM permit?

Do check the gazette notice and state your journey’s jurisdictional maps.

Gazette notices display your chosen route’s most recent timetables and road conditions. You won’t need to submit an OSOM permit application if a gazette notice covers your trip.

Find out if you need third-party approval.

Sometimes other parties will need to permit to use their land by government notifications, permits, and other regulations besides the Heavy Vehicle National Law.

Ensure you are applying to the proper authority

The NHVR must process all OSOM permit applications through the NHVR Portal for travel within and between the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, and Victoria. You must submit a direct application to the appropriate state or territory road transport authority for travel within the Northern Territory and Western Australia.

Get your application ready.

Find the application form for your relevant vehicle type, complete all requested details, including plotting routes using NHVR mapping tools, and submit it through the correct channel.

To operate heavy haulage in Australia, you should not only understand the applicable laws and regulations for your business but also have the appropriate permits.